The 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Microsoft Office programs don’t get along, so you can only have one type installed at a time. If you want to install a mix of 2010 and 2013 programs, the type still needs to be the same. Either install the 32-bit or 64-bit of both versions—don’t mix the types.
To help you decide which version to install, please see Choose the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Office 2013.
Error messages you might see
- If you try to install both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Office 2013, you’ll see this message:
We can’t install 32-bit and 64-bit Office side by side
- If you already have some 64-bit Office programs installed and you try to install the 32-bit version (even when installing different versions, like a mix of 2010 and 2013), you’ll see this message:
We found a problem!
We’re sorry, Office (32-bit) couldn’t be installed because you have these 64-bit Office programs on your computer:
Please try installing the 64-bit version of Office instead, or uninstall your other 64-bit Office programs and try the 32-bit installation again.
- If you already have some 32-bit Office programs and you try to install the 64-bit version (even when installing different versions, like a mix of 2010 and 2013), you’ll see this message:
We can’t install the 64-bit version of Office because we found the following 32-bit programs on your PC:
list of 32-bit Office programs installed on your computer
Please uninstall all 32-bit Office programs, then try installing 64-bit Office. If you want to install 32-bit Office instead, run the 32-bit setup.
Please see the Uninstall Microsoft Office 2013 Support article to see how you can uninstall Office 2013.
Install the 32-bit version of Office
After you have uninstalled any 64-bit versions of Office, when you run Setup, it defaults to installing the 32-bit version.
Install the 64-bit version of Office
Important If you already have a 64-bit version of Office installed on your computer running a 64-bit operating system, running Setup from the root folder installs the 64-bit version of Office.
Any add-ins you want to run for Office must also be 64-bit editions.
- If you ran Office Setup from the root folder, and you clicked Customize, click Close to exit Setup.
- Click Yes to cancel Setup, and then click Close .
- Go to the x64 folder on the Office disc, and double-click Setup.exe to run the 64-bit version of Setup.
From My Account
- Go to My Account on Office.com.
- Click Language and Install Options > Additional Install Options > Office 64-bit > Install.
Top of Page