|Microsoft Office Word 2003
|Microsoft Word 2002
When you use the markup features in Microsoft Word, you can quickly see who made changes to your document, because Word color codes changes by reviewer. To make reviewing your document even easier, you can alter the way changes are displayed.
If you can't see the reviewer's markup, try one of the following:
- Switch to print layout or Web layout view.
- Close extra panes (for example, close the Document Pane).
- Change the Zoom level of the window to Page Width.
- Click Markup on the View menu.
Using the different views to your advantage
The Display for Review box on the Reviewing toolbar gives you several perspectives for viewing the changes to a document.
Note In Word 2003, the Final Showing Markup and Original Showing Markup modes look different only when the Use Balloons (Print and Web Layout) option is set to Always. Otherwise, these modes display both insertions and deletions inline.
View changes from the editor's perspective
An editor or other reviewer will most likely want to see the document as close to the final, published version as possible. The Final Showing Markup mode does this by showing inserted text inline and deleted text in balloons.
Switch to the Final Showing Markup mode
- On the Reviewing toolbar, in the Display for Review box, click Final Showing Markup.
View changes from the author's perspective
As an author, you're curious about the changes made by an editor or other reviewer, but you'd like to see the text as you wrote it — with the suggested insertions in the margin and suggestions to delete your words inline.
Switch to the Original Showing Markup mode
- On the Reviewing toolbar, in the Display for Review box, click Original Showing Markup.
View changes from the reader's perspective
You can also use Display for Review to preview changes before you actually accept or reject them. That is, you can view the document with changes hidden. This is how the document would appear to the reader if all of the changes were accepted or rejected.
View the document with changes hidden
Do one of the following:
- To see how the document would look if you accepted all changes, on the Reviewing toolbar, in the Display for Review box, click Final.
- To see how the document would look if you rejected all changes, on the Reviewing toolbar, in the Display for Review box, click Original.