The Open XML to DAISY XML Translator add-in for Microsoft Office Word 2003 and Word 2007 helps content creators produce accessible documents for people who have visual disabilities. Installing this add-in allows Word documents in Open XML format to be saved into DAISY XML, which can then be converted into DAISY Digital Talking Book (DTB) format.
Note The Save as Daisy add-in is not supported by Microsoft Word 2010.
In this article
Download and install the Open XML to DAISY XML Translator
Your system must meet the following requirements in order to download, install and use the Open XML to DAISY XML Translator:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 installed. You can download this from Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Redistributable Package.
- Microsoft Office 2007, Microsoft Office 2003, or Microsoft Office XP with Office 2007 compatibility pack installed.
- Microsoft Office 2007 or Microsoft Office 2003 Primary Interop Assemblies (PIA) for your version of Office.
- Java Run Time 1.5.
Download and install the add-in
Before you install the add-in, close all Office applications. Download the add-in from Open XML to DAISY XML Translator, and then follow the installation instructions on your screen.
Top of Page
Save your Word document in Open XML format
In order to translate your document into a DAISY XML file, you must ensure that your document is in Open XML format by following these steps:
- Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Save As.
- In the Save As dialog box, click the arrow to the right of the Save as type list, and then click one of the following:
- .xml (Word 2007)
- .xml (Word 2003)
- In the File name box, type a name for the file.
- Click Save.
To learn more about saving your Word documents in different formats, see Use Word to open or save a file in another file format.
Top of Page
Save As DAISY features
After you have installed the Office XML to DAISY XML Translator add-in, you can do the following:
- Save as DAISY XML from a single Open XML document.
- Save as Full DAISY from a single Open XML document.
- Save as DAISY XML from multiple Open XML documents.
- Save as Full DAISY from multiple Open XML documents.
Additional information about DAISY XML Translator, as well as a complete Instruction Guide, can be found at the DAISY Consortium web site.
Top of Page