The difference between a text box and a frame

Some of the content in this topic may not be applicable to some languages.

Text boxes and frames are both containers for text that can be positioned on a page and sized.

If you are familiar with earlier versions of Microsoft Word, you used frames when you wanted to wrap text around a graphic. Now, you wrap text around a graphic of any size or shape without first inserting it in a text box or frame.

However, you must use a frame instead of a text box when you want to position text or graphics that contain certain items.

Use a text box when you want to do any of the following:

Use frames when your text or graphics contain the following:

When you open a document that contains frames from a previous version of Word, Word keeps the frames. When you select a frame, the Frame command appears on the Format menu.

Applies to:
Word 2003