Some printers offer the option of automatically printing on both sides of a sheet of paper (automatic duplex printing). Other printers provide instructions so that you can manually reinsert pages to print the second side (manual duplex printing). Some printers do not support duplex printing at all.
Find out whether your printer supports automatic duplex printing
You can use the following methods to determine whether a specific printer supports duplex printing:
- Check your printer manual or consult your printer manufacturer.
- In Microsoft Office Word, click the Microsoft Office Button , click Print, click Properties, and then click the tabs in the Document Properties dialog box and review the options. The options in the Document Properties dialog box vary depending on your printer options and configuration. If you see options on any of the tabs for printing on both sides of the paper, duplex printing, or two-sided printing, the printer probably supports automatic duplex printing.
If your printer supports duplex printing, follow the directions in the printer manual to create duplex copies.
- If you are printing to a combination copy machine and printer, and the copy machine supports two-sided copying, it probably supports automatic duplex printing.
- If you have more than one printer installed, it is possible that one printer supports duplex printing and another printer does not.
Set up a printer to print to both sides of a sheet of paper
If your printer doesn't support automatic duplex printing, you have two other options. You can use manual duplex printing, or you can print the odd and even pages separately.
Print by using manual duplex
If your printer does not support automatic duplex printing, you can select the Manual duplex check box in the Print dialog box. Microsoft Office Word will print all of the pages that appear on one side of the paper and then prompt you to turn the stack over and feed the pages into the printer again.
Print odd and even pages
You can also use the following procedure to print on both sides:
- Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Print.
- In the lower-left corner of the Print dialog box, in the Print list, select Odd pages.
- Click OK.
- After the odd pages are printed, flip the stack of pages over, and then in the Print list, select Even pages.
- Click OK.
Note Depending on the printer model, you might have to rotate and reorder the pages to print the other side of the stack.
Top of Page