You can protect a document by using a password to help prevent unauthorized access.
- Click the File tab.
- Click Info.
- Click Protect Document, and then click Encrypt with Password.
- In the Encrypt Document box, type a password, and then click OK.
- In the Confirm Password box, type the password again, and then click OK.
- Passwords are case-sensitive. Make sure that the CAPS LOCK key is turned off when you enter a password for the first time.
- If you lose or forget a password, Word cannot recover your data.
Top of Page