- Click where you want to insert a field (field: A set of codes that instructs Microsoft Word to insert text, graphics, page numbers, and other material into a document automatically. For example, the DATE field inserts the current date.).
- On the Insert menu, click Field.
- In the Categories box, click a category.
- In the Field names box, click a field name.
- Select the options you want.
If you know the field code for the field you want to insert, you can also type it directly in your document. First press CTRL+F9, and then type the code within the brackets.