- Select the text or item you want to comment (comment: A note or annotation that an author or reviewer adds to a document. Microsoft Word displays the comment in a balloon in the margin of the document or in the Reviewing Pane.) on, or click at the end of the text.
- On the Insert menu, click Comment.
- Type the comment text in the comment balloon (balloons: In print layout view or Web layout view, markup balloons show markup elements, such as comments and tracked changes, in the margins of your document. Use these balloons to easily see and respond to reviewers' changes and comments.).
- If the comment balloons are hidden, you can type the comment in the Reviewing Pane.
- You can rest the insertion point over the balloon to display the name of the reviewer.
- To respond to a comment, click in the comment you want to respond to, and then click Comment on the Insert menu. Type your response in the new comment balloon.
Turn on or off marking comments in an e-mail message
- On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the General tab.
- Click E-mail Options, and then click the Personal Stationery tab.
- Do one of the following:
Insert a voice comment
Insert a handwritten comment