You can use linked text boxes (text box: A movable, resizable container for text or graphics. Use text boxes to position several blocks of text on a page or to give text a different orientation from other text in the document.) to create columns of text that flow side-by-side, instead of wrapping from one column to another.
For example, you can have text from column 1 flow to column 1 on the next page, and text from column 2 flow to column 2 on the next page.
- On the Standard toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, press ALT and then SHIFT+F10.), click New Blank Document to create a new document, or create a new document from a template.
- On the Standard toolbar, click Show/Hide to display paragraph marks.
- If you want to allow room for a headline or other text before the linked text boxes, click at the top of the page, and press ENTER.
- Click where you want the linked text boxes to begin.
- On the Insert menu, click Text Box.
- Drag the pointer on the page where you want the first column.
- On the Insert menu, click Text Box again.
- Drag the pointer on the page where you want the second column.
- Press CTRL+END to move the pointer immediately before the last paragraph mark on the page, and press CTRL+ENTER to create a page break.
- Repeat steps 3 through 9 for each page that will contain side-by-side columns in your document, and then return to the first text box you created.
- Click the text box on the left once to select it.
To do this, move the pointer over the border of the text box until the pointer becomes a four-headed arrow, and then click the border.
- On the Text Box toolbar, click Create Text Box Link .
The pointer becomes a pitcher.
- Click the text box on the left side of the second page to create a link.
- Create links for all text boxes within the same story (story: Text that's contained within a single text box or a chain of linked text boxes.) on the left side of the document.
- In the text boxes on the right side of the page, repeat steps 11 through 14 for every text box in the right chain, or story.