Insert mail merge fields
Word includes the Greeting Line and Address Block fields, which add all the fields for a greeting or address, so you don’t have to add each field one at a time. For example, to add a standard greeting to your email message or letter, use the Greeting Line merge field.
- Click where you want to add the greeting.
- Click Greeting Line.
- Choose the name style that you want to use, and set other options.
- To make sure the field is formatted the way you want, highlight the whole field, including the marks at each end.
- Click Home, and then check the font and font size.
- Click Line Spacing to make sure the line spacing matches the spacing in the rest of your document.
After you add the fields you want to merge, type the information you want to be the same in each email message you send during the merge.
Add individual fields
If you want to add a customized greeting or other information from your mailing list, you can add fields one a time.
- Click in your document where you want to add the mail merge field.
- Click the arrow next to Insert Merge Field, and then click the field name.
- If you don’t see your field name in the list, click the Insert Merge Field button.
- Click Database Fields to see the list of fields that are in your data source.
- Click the field you want to add.
- Click Insert.