- Open a document.
- On the Tools menu, click Compare and Merge Documents.
- Select the document that you want to compare to the copy that is currently open.
- Click the arrow next to Merge, and then do one of the following:
- To display the results of the comparison in the selected document, click Merge.
- To display the results in the document that is currently open, click Merge into current document.
- To display the results in a new document, click Merge into new document.
- To ensure the best possible merge results, make sure that the Store random number to improve merge accuracy check box is selected on the Security tab of the Options dialog box (click Options on the Tools menu).
- If you've used the Versions command on the File menu to save multiple versions of the document in one file, and you want to compare the current version with an earlier one, you must first save the earlier version as a separate file under a different name.
If you've closed the Compare Side by Side toolbar but you want to show it again, click Customize on the Tools menu, click the Toolbars tab, and then select the Compare Side by Side check box.