You can now check the spelling of Russian using strict spelling rules. To do this, you must first be using a version of Microsoft Office or an Office Language Pack that includes Russian-language proofing tools, and then configure your Office programs to use one of the following settings:
- Strict ë Words which should be spelled with the ë will be flagged if the diacritic is omitted, and only the variant forms with ë will be suggested.
- Allow e for ë Words which require ë will not be flagged if the diacritic is omitted, and both variants are accepted; both variants will be suggested. This is the default setting.
In this article
Before you begin
To check the spelling of Russian text you must be using a version of Microsoft Office or an Office Language Pack that includes Russian-language proofing tools and configure your Office programs to use the Russian language. See Buy, install, configure, or uninstall a Microsoft Office language pack for more information about language packs.
Top of Page
Step 1: Configure Office programs to use the Russian language
This procedure assumes that you have already installed the appropriate language pack.
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft Office, point to Microsoft Office Tools, and then click Microsoft Office Language Preferences.
- Under Choose Editing languages, click the Add additional Editing Languages arrow, select Russian, and then click Add.
- If your computer is not properly configured for the editing language that you have added, Not enabled or Not installed may appear in the Keyboard Layout or Proofing columns. To learn more about these alerts, see What does Not enabled or Not installed mean?
- After you change the default language, you need to close all Office programs, and then open them again for the change to take effect.
Top of Page
Step 2: Use Russian strict spelling rules
The Russian strict spelling option is only available if you are using version of Office that includes Russian proofing tools, or after you have installed and configured the language pack.
- Click the File tab.
- Click Options, and then click Proofing.
- To change the Russian spelling settings, select or clear the Russian: Enforce strict ë check box, and then click OK.
Top of Page