You may receive this error message when you use a Microsoft Office 2003 program with the Adobe PDFMaker add-in installed.
When you use one of the Microsoft Office 2003 programs, you may receive the following message:
Microsoft Office program name has detected that your computer has a version of Adobe Acrobat PDFMaker that is known to cause instabilities in program name 2003. To resolve this issue, download an update from Adobe Systems’ Web site.
Note In this message, program name is the Office 2003 program that you were working with when the error occurred.
This problem occurs because of an incompatibility with the PDFMaker.dot file, the PDFMaker.xla file, or the PDFMaker.ppa add-in that is included and installed with Adobe Acrobat 5.0.5 or earlier. Adobe does not support running version 5.0.5 or earlier of the PDFMaker templates with Office 2003.
For compatibility between the PDFMaker add-in and Microsoft Office 2003 programs, you need to obtain Adobe Acrobat 6.0. For more information about Adobe Acrobat 6.0, visit the Adobe Acrobat family Web site.
To work around this problem, rename all occurrences of the Adobe Acrobat add-in for your Office 2003 program. To do this, follow these steps:
- Quit your Office 2003 program.
- Click Start, and then click Search.
- Click All files and folders.
- In the All or part of the file name box, type pdfmaker.dot (for Microsoft Office Word), pdfmaker.xla (for Microsoft Office Excel), or pdfmaker.ppa (for Microsoft Office PowerPoint®), and then click Search.
- Rename every occurrence of these files.
- Right-click the file, click Rename, type a new name for the file, and then press ENTER.
For example, rename pdfmaker.dot to pdfmaker.old.
Note If Norton AntiVirus or Norton SystemWorks is installed on your computer, view the support document from Symantec Corporation to learn about using the PDFMaker add-in when the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft Office is enabled.