You can add numbers to items in the body text of a paragraph by using the LISTNUM field (field: A set of codes that instructs Microsoft Word to insert text, graphics, page numbers, and other material into a document automatically. For example, the DATE field inserts the current date.).
- Click in front of the first item you want to number within the paragraph.
- On the Insert menu, click Field.
- In the Categories box, click Numbering.
- In the Field names box, click ListNum.
- In the List name box, select the format you want.
- Click OK.
- Click in front of the next item you want to number within the paragraph and press CTRL+Y to insert another LISTNUM field.
- If you want to change the spacing, insert a space between each LISTNUM field result and the text you want to number.
Note You can change the starting number and other formats by adding switches (switch: When working with fields, a special instruction that causes a specific action to occur. Generally, a switch is added to a field to modify a result.) to the LISTNUM field.