You can add your own reusable building blocks — for example, autotext or a custom header or footer — to any of the galleries that are available in Microsoft Word.
- Select the text or graphic that you want to store as a reusable building block.
To store paragraph formatting — including indentation, alignment, line spacing, and pagination — with the entry, include the paragraph mark ( ) in the selection.
Note To view paragraph marks, on the Home tab, in the Paragraph group, click Show/Hide.
- Click Save Selection to Gallery Name Gallery.
Building block galleries are available throughout Word. For example, you can create a text box that you want to reuse. On the Page Layout tab, in the Page Background group, click Save Selection to Watermark Gallery.
- Fill out the information in the Create New Building Block dialog box:
- Name Type a unique name for the building block.
- Gallery Select the gallery that you want the building block to show up in.
- Category Select a category, such as General or Built-In, or create a new category.
- Description Type a description of the building block.
- Save in Click the name of the template in the drop-down list.
A template must be open to be displayed in the drop-down list of template names.
- Options Choose one of the following:
- Select Insert content in its own page to place the building block on a separate page with page breaks before and after the building block.
- Select Insert in own paragraph to make the content into its own paragraph, even if the user's cursor is in the middle of a paragraph.
- Select Insert content only for all other content.
Top of Page