As a site owner, you can maintain control over server resources and carefully monitor areas such as storage space by checking quotas (quota: A value that limits the amount of storage or number of users for a Web site.) that have been set for sites.
To help manage site and server resources, an administrator of the local server computer can specify quotas that are used to limit the amount of storage available on a site and the number of users that are added to a site collection. These quotas help to ensure that one site cannot deplete so many resources that other sites can no longer function.
The server administrator can use locks to stop sites from exceeding the storage quota limits, and to block all users from accessing a site if necessary.
A site can be locked automatically when the site exceeds the maximum storage quota. The server administrator can also lock a site manually if, for example, it is in violation of site use policies. Depending on the type of lock, the result of a locked site is different:
- When a site is locked for exceeding a storage quota limit, users who attempt to upload new content see a disk full error.
- When a site is locked manually, users who attempt to view the site will see an access denied message.
Site administrators can unlock sites by themselves if the sites are locked for exceeding quota limits. Only a server administrator can clear a manual lock.
Top of Page
View current quota values and data for a site
Current quota values and data for a site can be viewed in SharePoint Central Administration. See your server administrator to view this information.
Top of Page
View quota data for a site
On the Site Actions menu , click Site Settings.
Note On a site for which the Site Actions menu is customized, point to Site Settings, and then click the settings that you want to view.
- On the Site Settings page, in the Site Collection Administration section, click Usage summary.
Note If you do not see this link, click Go to top level site settings in the Site Collection Administration section.
- To view details about how the storage is being used, in the Storage section, click Storage Space Allocation.
- On the Storage Space Allocation page, in the Select a View section, do one of the following:
- To view storage space allocation for document libraries, click Document Libraries.
- To view storage space allocation for documents, click Documents.
- To view storage space allocation for lists, click Lists.
- To view storage space allocation for items in the Recycle Bin, click Recycle Bin.
Top of Page