Use Site Administration to assign a user to a site group
- On the Web site you want to manage, click Site Settings.
- On the Site Settings page, in the Administration section, click Manage Users.
- On the Manage Users page, select the box next to the user or cross-site group name you want to change.
- Click Edit Site Group of Selected Users.
- In the Site Group Membership area, select the site group to which you want the user or cross-site group to belong.
- Click OK.
Use the command line to assign a user to a site group
You can assign a user to a site group from the command line by using the userrole operation. The userrole operation takes the url, userlogin, role, and add or delete parameters. Use the following syntax to add a user to the Contributor site group:
stsadm.exe –o userrole –url http:// –userlogin
–role contributor –add
Note This does not remove the user from any site groups to which he or she previously belonged.