If you have data in a Microsoft Project file, you can import that file into Visio to automatically create a timeline diagram. If you have created a detailed timeline diagram in Visio, you can export the data as a Project file.
Note You must have Microsoft Project installed to use this feature.
What do you want to do?
Import data from Project into a Visio timeline
- Click the File tab.
- Click New, and then under Template Categories, click Schedule.
- Double-click Timeline.
- On the Timeline tab, click Import Data.
- On the first wizard page, enter the Project (MPP) file you want to use to create a Visio timeline, or click the Browse button to navigate to the file you want, and then click Next.
- On the next wizard page, select the task types you want to import. See the Description at the bottom for details about each task type.
- On the third wizard page, select the shape types you want to use for the timeline, as well as for the milestones and intervals that appear on your timeline. You can also click the Advanced button to set the time scale and display options for your Visio timeline. Click OK, and then click Next.
- Click Finish to create a Visio timeline with the properties you specified in the wizard.
Note If you have shapes on the current drawing page, Visio places the timeline on a new page in your current drawing.
Tip To change the shape types for any or all of the timeline shapes, right-click the shape on the drawing page, and then click Set Timeline Type, Set Milestone Type, or Set Interval Type.
Top of Page
Export timeline data from Visio to Project
- In Visio, open the timeline drawing that contains the data that you want to export, and then click the border of the timeline to select it.
Note You can export only one timeline at a time. If you have more than one timeline on the drawing page (excluding an expanded timeline), select the one that you want to export.
- On the Timeline tab, click Export Data.
Note When you export an expanded timeline that includes more data than appears on the original (such as additional milestones), you are asked if you want to export all of the data or only the data that is shared by all of the timelines.
- In the Export Timeline Data dialog box, navigate to the folder where you want to save the exported file. For File name, type the name you want to use for your Project file, and then click Save.
A confirmation message appears when the export is completed.
Top of Page