The quickest way to add and glue connectors to two shapes is to use AutoConnect. You can use AutoConnect while dragging shapes from a stencil onto the page, or to connect shapes that are already on the page.
AutoConnect creates a shape-to-shape connection between two shapes. With a shape-to-shape connection, the connector stays glued to each shape by moving to the closest available connection points when you move either one of the shapes. If no connection points are present, the connector moves to the closest sides.
If you prefer a point-to-point connection, you need to use the Connector tool or a Dynamic Connector shape instead of AutoConnect. With a point-to-point connection, the connector stays glued to the same connection points when you move one of the shapes.
What do you want to do?
Use AutoConnect while dragging shapes onto the page
- Drag a shape from a stencil onto the drawing page and position it near another shape.
- While still holding down the mouse button, move the pointer over one of the blue triangles. The triangle turns dark blue.
- Release the mouse button. The shape is placed on the drawing page, and a connector is added and glued to both shapes.
Tip If you don't like dragging shapes, you can achieve the same result by first selecting a shape in the stencil, resting the pointer over a shape in your drawing, and then clicking one of the blue triangles that appear near that shape.
Top of Page
Use AutoConnect with shapes already on the page
- Rest the pointer over the shape that you want to connect from.
- Position the pointer over the blue triangle that is closest to the shape that you want to connect to.
The triangle turns dark blue, and a red box appears around the shape that you want to connect to.
Note If a red box does not appear around the shape that you want to connect to, the shape may be too far away. Move the shape closer and try again, or use the Connector tool.
- Click the blue triangle. A connector is added and glued to both shapes.
Top of Page
Enable or disable AutoConnect
You can enable or disable the AutoConnect feature in all Visio drawings, or in only the current drawing.
Enable or disable AutoConnect in all Visio drawings
- On the Tools menu, click Options.
- Click the General tab.
- Under Drawing window options, select the Enable AutoConnect check box.
Enable or disable AutoConnect in the current drawing
- On the Standard toolbar, click the AutoConnect tool.
Note If clicking the AutoConnect tool does not enable AutoConnect, make sure the Enable AutoConnect check box is selected in the Options dialog box.
Top of Page