You can preview your merge results before you complete the merge. At the preview step, you still have the opportunity to add or remove fields, and limit the number of records (rows) from your data file that are actually included in the merge.
After you've added all the content and fields to the main document, you're ready to preview how the merged documents look. When you click the Next link at the bottom of the task pane to move to the preview step in the mail merge process, the first merged document automatically appears. Depending upon how the first document looks, you have a number of choices:
- If things don't look right, click the Previous link at the bottom of the task pane. By returning to the previous step, you can add, delete, or match fields, or make other corrections so that the information is displayed correctly.
Tip When you preview, if you still see fields in your document instead of values for those fields, you might need to change a setting. On the Tools menu, click Options. On the Print tab, make sure the Field Codes option under Include with document is cleared.
- If things look good, click the double right arrow button at the top of the task pane to page through a few more of the merged documents.
- If you want to view the merged document for a particular record (row from your data file), click the Find a recipient link to search for that record.
- As you page through the documents, you can exclude any record from the merge by clicking Exclude this recipient.
Note You're excluding a recipient only from the final merge results, not deleting anything from the data file.
- If you realize that the merge includes some records you don't actually want to include, click the Edit recipient list link to open the Mail Merge Recipients dialog box. As described previously, you can use this dialog box to narrow down the record list.