Bing Finance (Beta) app for Office is a task pane app that allows you to build a finance portfolio table in Excel. Users can input their stock symbols and select a wide range of data columns including current price for their table. Subsequently the app allows you to refresh the table with latest data values as well as provide additional information like price chart and news for your stocks.
Creating a Portfolio Table
There are two ways to create a portfolio table:
1. DATA pivot - Navigate to the DATA pivot and search and build a list of stocks you want in your portfolio table. Next select a set of data columns for your table. You can either use the default list of columns or add additional columns by dragging from available list into selected list. Next click on create table. In this version you cannot remove columns from the selected list. To remove columns, delete them directly in your excel table.
2. NEWS pivot – To create a portfolio table quickly with the default set of columns, search for a stock in the NEWS pivot and click on create table. You can add additional columns later using the DATA pivot.
Adding Stocks to table
Stocks can be added to the portfolio table in 3 different ways:
1. Data Pivot – Search and build a list of companies and add all of them to the table by clicking on Add to table
2. News Pivot – Search for a company and click on Add to table
3. Directly in excel – Insert new rows into the portfolio table and directly insert stock symbol. Other data column values are automatically updated by the app once you enter the stock symbol.
View Stock Information
When you click on any cell in the table, the app automatically shows information about the corresponding stock in the NEWS pivot. When you move to another row, the data in NEWS pivot is automatically updated.
Data pivot provides the ability to create a portfolio table, add additional stocks into the portfolio table and adding additional data columns to the portfolio table.
News pivot provides information about a company as well the ability to quickly add it to your portfolio table. The table can be refreshed with latest information (quotes delayed) by clicking on Refresh Table. It also shows some recent news articles on the company.
Once a portfolio table is created, Refresh table data feature in the app can be used to refresh data values in the table to their most recent values. Data is provided by Morningstar and the quotes are delayed by 15 minutes.