This topic describes new features and other changes in Microsoft Office Groove 2007.
Office Groove 2007 provides a simplified process for searching for contacts. The search facility now allows you to simply type in the name or email address you are looking for and click Find. Groove will search all available directories to find a match for your entry. You can also optionally enable searching in the Public Groove Directory.
If you have Integrate Messenger Contacts enabled in your preferences (the default setting), you can view Messenger online status for all Groove contacts who also run Messenger, and start Messenger activities with these contacts, such as text-chatting or voice-over-IP (VOIP). Additionally, the first time you start up Groove after installation or upgrade, you are prompted to add all Messenger contacts who also have Groove to your contact list.
Groove SharePoint Files Tool
The SharePoint Files Tool is an enhanced version of the Groove Files Tool, with features intended for synchronizing file content between Groove and SharePoint document libraries. Groove InfoPath
Groove InfoPath Forms Tool
The Groove InfoPath Forms Tool enables application developers to create and lay out most design objects (forms and the fields that display on forms) in Microsoft InfoPath 2007, and then import the solution into the Groove InfoPath Forms Tool designer. Alternatively, developers can also use the Groove Forms Tool to create custom applications.
Groove Discussion Tool
The Groove Discussion Tool is now a custom Forms tool. It looks and behaves the same as the Discussion tool from earlier versions of Groove, with the addition of a Category field and views for sorting Discussion threads either by category or by date.
Groove Meetings Tool
In the Groove Meetings Tool, the "Participants" tab is renamed to the "Attendees" tab. The tool now supports assigning permissions to Groove user roles.
Features and tools no longer available in this release
The list below describes the features and tools no longer available in this release. The lengthy number of items mostly reflects adjustments to the feature set as the Groove application becomes part of Microsoft's Office offerings. Additionally, this release focuses on ensuring the highest quality of the key features that receive the most use.
- The following tools and toolsets are no longer available for adding to new or existing workspaces: Contact Manager, Discussion, Document Review, Outliner, Task Manager, Text, Tic-Tac-Toe, Web Links, Welcome Page, Advanced Project Toolset, and Mobile Workspace for SharePoint.
Instances of these tools in existing workspaces will continue to function.
A new version of the Groove Discussion Tool (as described above) is now available.
The Groove SharePoint Files Tool replaces Mobile Workspace for SharePoint. Note that you can no longer synchronize data between an existing mobile workspace and its associated SharePoint site.
- Chat-only workspaces. Chat is now available only as part of standard or file sharing workspaces.
- Co-editing of Word documents.
- Presenting of PowerPoint slide shows.
- File viewers in the Groove Files Tool.
- Outlook Calendar integration with the Groove Calendar and Groove Meetings tools.
- Launch Netmeeting.
- Sending an Outlook email thread to a Groove workspace.
- Sending Lotus Notes documents to a Groove workspace.
- XMPP Proxy Server and Client features (i.e., interacting with Jabber users).
- Options in account preferences for presence settings for idle behavior.
- Docking the Groove Launchbar.
- The "Auto-create record" feature in the Groove Forms tool.
- Forms tools created in Groove versions prior to Groove 2.5 will not be accessible.
- Groove no longer supports installing new tools via component injection. That is, you can no longer install new tools in your Groove account by opening a .grv or .gcd file. Additionally, tools previously installed via component injection will no longer function in existing or new workspaces.
- Groove accounts can no longer be uploaded to groove.net for backup or for setting up use on multiple computers. Multiple computers usage now requires saving your account file manually.