If you are working with a document or item that is subject to an information management policy that includes a Barcode policy, Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 automatically creates a unique barcode for the document or item when it is initially uploaded to the library or when it is edited for the first time. People can also insert an image of the barcode directly into a document if they open the document in certain 2007 Microsoft Office system programs. When people work with printed documents that contain these barcodes, they can use the barcode information displayed in the document to search for and locate the original copy of the document on a SharePoint site.
When you are working with these documents or items on the server, you can view the barcode information in a couple of different ways.
View the barcode for a specific document or item
You can view the barcode information for documents or items individually.
- Open the list or library that contains the item or document for which you want to view the barcode.
- Point to the item or document, click the arrow that appears, and then click View Item or View Properties.
- Next to Barcode, view the barcode image for the item.
Top of Page
Display the barcode in the default view for the list or library
You can configure the default view for a list or library so that barcode images or barcode values are displayed.
- Open the list or library for which you want to add barcode information to the default view.
On the Settings menu , click List Settings, or click the settings for the type of library that you are opening.
For example, in a document library, click Document Library Settings.
- Under Views, click the name of the default view that you want to update.
- In the Columns section, do one of the following:
- To display the barcode image in the default view for the list or library, select the Barcode check box, and then click a number under Position from Left to indicate the order in which you want the barcode image to be displayed.
- To display only the numerical barcode value in the default view for the list or library, select the Barcode Value check box, and then click a number under Position from Left to indicate the order in which you want the barcode value to be displayed.
Top of Page