Advanced search allows you to search for items using more complex queries based on item types and properties. Along with the options available in simple search, you have a more comprehensive set of groups by which to view search results. You can sort search results by specific properties.
To use advanced search, click the icon on the left of the search bar of any page. You can also click Advanced Search in the Actions list on the simple search results page.
By default, advanced searches include all items that match the text you type in the search box. You may decide to search for items only of a particular type. You can search for the following types of items:
- Area items
- Document Libraries
- Picture Libraries
The properties that are available for advanced searches change depending upon the type of items for which you are searching.
Use advanced search queries
You can search for items based on any property or combination of properties.
- To search for a specific type of item, select the type from the Search by type list. For example, you can search only for sites or search only documents.
- Under Search by properties, click the property you want to search by in the first box. The properties that are available to select change depending upon the type of items for which you are searching.
- In the second box, click the appropriate logical operator. For example, click Contains to include items with values for the property that include the text you provide, or click Is exactly to include items with values for the property that exactly match the text you provide.
Note For other properties, the operators may vary.
- In the third box, type the value for which to search.
For example, to search for a document with a description containing the word "portal," in the Search by type list, click Documents. In the first box, click Description. In the second box, click Contains. In the third box, type the value, portal.
Note You cannot search by parts of words or properties. For example, a query for "fish" will not return documents that contain only the word "fishbowl.”
- You can search on combinations of up to three properties at a time. Click And between property queries to include items that match both properties, or click Or to include items that match either property.
- Select All to include documents regardless of date. To search for documents within a range of dates, select the second option, and then click Modified or Created. To search over periods of hours, days, months, or years, click the appropriate entry in the list and type a value for the length of time to search. For example, to search for all documents modified in the last five days, select the second option, click Modified, type the value, 5, in the text box, and then click Days in the list.
- To complete your search, type text in the search box and then click the search button.
Organize search results by groups
You can organize search results into groups just as you do by selecting views in simple search. You may also organize by size or type, which are options not available in simple search. The different organizational groups are described below:
- Author Items are organized by group under headings by author, and then sorted by relevance.
- Area Items are organized by group under area headings, and then sorted by relevance.
- Date Items are organized by group under headings by the date they were last modified, and then sorted by relevance.
- None Items are not organized by group.
- Site Items are organized by group under headings by the site in which they appear, and then sorted by relevance.
- Size Items are organized by group in order of largest to smallest.
- Type Items are organized by group under headings by document type, and then sorted by relevance.
To organize search results by group, click the appropriate group in the Group by section of the action pane.
Sort search results
To sort search results in any group in an order besides relevance, click the appropriate sorting criteria in the Sort by section of the action pane.
- Author Items are sorted in ascending alphabetical order by author.
- Date Items are sorted in order with most recent documents first.
- Relevance Items are sorted by relevance. This is the default setting for sorting search results.
- Size Items are sorted in order from largest to smallest.
- Title Items are sorted in alphabetical order by title.
Use simple search
- In the Actions list, click Simple Search. You may also click the Simple Search icon on the search bar.
Use simple search
About My Site