Depending on your customers' needs, you may want to use a different page layout for every variation label. A variation label might differ because of issues such as right-to-left languages, branding, and format constraints as with handheld devices.
You can map a page layout to a variation label by specifying a preferred layout.
- On the Site Actions menu , point to Site Settings, and then click Modify All Site Settings.
If you are not at the root of your site, under Site Collection Administration, click Go to top level site settings.
- On the Site Settings page, under Galleries, click Master pages and page layouts.
- Point to the page layout you want to map to the variation label, click the arrow that appears, and then click Check Out.
- Point to the page layout again, click the arrow that appears, and then click Edit Properties .
- In the Variations section, under Available Labels, select a label from the list.
- Click Add to move the label to the Labels for Layout box.
- Click OK.
- Check in the file.
Note Changes to page layouts are subject to the versioning and approval process in effect in the Master Page and Page Layout Gallery.