To target an item to an audience, you must edit the display properties of the item in the portal site map to select the audience or audiences to which to target the item.
- On the navigation bar of the portal site, click Site Settings.
- In the Portal Site Content section, click Manage portal site structure.
- On the Portal Site Map page, click the arrow next to Show on the toolbar, and then click All to change the default view to show all items.
- Select an item to target.
Note You must select a specific item, such as a document or news item. Selecting an area does not work, as content is targeted by item and not by area.
- Click the arrow next to an item to select it. In the drop-down menu that appears, click Edit.
- Click the Display tab to select an audience.
- On the Display Properties page, in the Audience section, click the audience you want from the available audiences list, and then click Add.
Note If the list of available audiences is long, you can type the audience name into the Find text box to go directly to the audience in the list.
- Click OK.
After you target an item to an audience, you must decide how you're going to show that item to portal users. For more information, see Show targeted items to portal site users.
Creating and Editing Audiences
Show targeted items to portal site users