As a site administrator, you can target content to the personal sites of portal users. Users who click My Site on the navigation bar to view their personal sites see all of the content that is targeted to their sites for the audiences to which they belong.
You target content to personal sites by adding listings to the Targeted links on My Site area or News area, and then editing the display properties of the listings to target specific audiences.
Users see the content that is targeted to them in the Links for You and News for You Web Parts on their personal sites. Content added to the Targeted links on My Site area is displayed in the Links for You Web Part. Content added to the News area is displayed in the News for You Web Part.
Note Users can also see targeted content on the home page of the portal site and in areas in the portal site map. Content added to the Home area is displayed on the home page of the portal site. Targeted content added to other areas appears in only those areas in the portal site map.
Though as an administrator you can manage targeted content for personal sites from the portal site map just as you do targeted content for the default portal page, you can also manage targeted content from the Targeted Links on My Site page. This page is a list view of all listings in that area.
By default, the Targeted links on My Site page uses a view that organizes all of the content targeted to personal sites by groups. You also have the following views:
- All Items This view shows all items.
- New Requests This view shows items that are requested by users, but not yet rejected or approved.
- Rejected Content This view shows items that are rejected.
- Archived Content This view shows expired items that you are saving, possibly to use again at a later date.
- Expired Content This view shows items that passed their expiration date, and have yet to be deleted or moved to the archive.
- Suggestions This view shows items that are suggested as being relevant to this area by the topic assistant.
You can change the status of any item from the menu that appears when you select each item.
Add an item to target to audiences in personal sites
- Click Site Settings, and in the Portal Site Content section, click Manage targeted links on My Site.
- On the Targeted links on My Site page, click Add Listing to target a link to the Links for You Web Part on My Site.
- On the Add Listing page, in the Title and Description section, type a title and description for the listing.
- In the Content section, for existing items, click Existing listing and type the address for the location of the item.
If you are adding a completely new item, click Add a listing by entering text and then click Open Text Editor. Type and format the text for the item, and then click OK.
- In the Group section, you can click the group to which you want to assign this listing. By default, listings are in the General group. The other group options are Best Bet and Expert.
- In the Image section, you can decide to type an address for an image to represent this listing when it appears in the portal site.
- In the Audience section, select the audience you want to target from the Available audiences list, and then click Add.
Note If the list of available audiences is long, you can type part of the audience name into the Find audiences that start with text box to go directly to the audience in the list.
You can select more than one audience.
- On the Add Listing page, click OK.
Edit an item to target to audiences in personal sites
- On the Targeted links on My Site page, click the arrow next to the item you want to edit, and then click Edit.
- On the Change Settings page, in the Title and Description section, you may change the title and description.
- In the Address section, you may change the location of the listing if the listing has moved.
- In the Location section, Targeted links on My Site is selected. Do not change this setting if you want this item to be targeted to the Links for You Web Part on My Site.
Note If this is a news item that you would prefer to target to the News for You Web Part, click Change location and then select the News area or one of its subareas. If it's an item you want to target to the home page of the portal, you can change the area to Home or one of its subareas. If you change this to any other area, this item is not targeted to any users on the home page or in My Site.
- Click the Publishing tab to change the dates during which the item is targeted, as well as to set the approval status of the item.
- To target this item to another audience, click the Display tab, and then in the Audience section, select the new audience you want to target from the Available audiences list and click Add. To stop targeting an audience, select it and click Remove.
You can also change the group and image for this listing from this tab.
- Click the Search tab, and then click Yes to include this listing in search results. To remove this listing from search results, click No.
- Click OK.
Add a person
In addition to documents, news, and other items, you can target user profiles for certain people in your organization to a specific audience. This is a useful way to provide information to a team about a manager or new employee.
- In the Actions list, click Add Person.
- On the Add Person page, in the Name and Description section, click Select person.
- On the Select a person page, in the Find by section, click name of user to search by the display name of the user, or alias of user to search by the account name, and then type the name for which to search.
- Click Find.
The names that match your search appear in the Results list.
- Click the name of the person you want to add, and then click Add.
- Click OK.
- On the Add Person page, type a description, assign the person to a group, and target an audience just as you would with any other listing.
- Click OK.
Note Editing a person is exactly like editing any other targeted item in the portal.
Use Audiences to Target Content
Target an Item to an Audience
Show Targeted Items to Portal Users
About My Site