After you create source groups and associate sites with those source groups, you can create search scopes that return search results only from sites in certain content source groups.
When you create a search scope based on a content source group, that scope is added to the search drop-down list next to the search box. Users who select the search scope corresponding to the content source group limit their search queries to sites in the source group associated with the search scope.
- On the Site Settings page, in the Search Settings and Indexed Content section, click Manage search scopes.
- On the Manage Search Scopes page, click New Search Scope on the toolbar.
- On the Add Search Scope page, in the Name section, enter a title for the search scope.
Note Typically, if you are creating a search scope for one content source group, this title will match the name for the content source group. Otherwise, select a name that conveys the type of content likely to be found when using this source group. This name appears on the search drop-down list, so select a reasonably short name.
- In the Topics and Areas section, click Include no topic or area in this scope.
- In the Content Source Groups section, click Limit the scope to the following groups of content sources, and then select the content source group or groups that contain the sites with content that you want to search by using this search scope.
Note Sites that are not in the site directory but are associated with this source group through a separate content source will also show up in searches using this search scope, but are crawled separately.
- Click OK.
This topic is part of an eight-topic series.