You can save time when you create a list by importing a spreadsheet file, if your data is already in a spreadsheet format. When you create a list from a spreadsheet, its headings become columns in the list, and the rest of the data is imported as list items.
After you import data into a list, you can customize its settings and continue to add data to it, as you would any list on a Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services site.
To create a list based on a spreadsheet, you must be using a spreadsheet program that is compatible with Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Windows. For example, you can import a list from Microsoft Office Excel 2007 that you created to store and manage contracts with vendors.
Click View All Site Content, and then click Create on the All Site Content page.
Tip In most cases, you can use the Site Actions menu instead to complete this step.
- Under Custom Lists, click Import Spreadsheet.
In the Name box, type a name for the list. The list name is required.
The name appears at the top of the list page, becomes part of the Web address for the list page, and appears in navigational elements that help users to find and open the list.
- In the Description box, type a description of the purpose of the list. The description is optional.
- In the Import from Spreadsheet section, click in the File location box. Click Browse to find the spreadsheet file that contains the list that you want to import, and then click Open.
- Click Import.
- In the Import to Windows SharePoint Services list dialog box, enter the range of cells that you want to use for your list. Depending on your spreadsheet program, you may be able to select the range of cells that you want directly in the spreadsheet.
- In the Import to Windows SharePoint Services list dialog box, click Import.
Note Typically, the columns are set up on the SharePoint site based on the type of data that they contain. After you import a list, however, you should inspect the columns and data to make sure that everything was imported as you expected. For example, you may want to specify that a column contains currency rather than just a number. To view or change the list settings, open the list, and then click List Settings on the Settings menu.
Top of Page