You can add media (such as video, audio, or an image) to a SharePoint page. The media file can come from your computer, from the web, or from another location such as a file share. Or, you can embed a video from a video sharing website such as YouTube.
Warning If you upload an audio file in the .WAV format, you might see a message that is not correct for most browsers. The message states, ”the Media Player Web Part cannot play files in this format.” This is incorrect for all supported browsers except Chrome. Ignore the message, and continue to upload your file.
Important You must have permission to edit pages to follow this procedure.
- Go to the page where you want to add media.
- Select the Page tab. Then, on the ribbon, click Edit.
- Click inside an editable area on the page.
- Choose the Insert tab, and in the Media group on the ribbon, click Video and Audio.
- For information about how to insert media with one of these options, click one of the following links.
In this article
Upload a file from your computer
To upload a file from your computer, follow these steps.
- Click From Computer.
- Browse to the location of the file that you want, select the file and then click Open.
- Specify a destination library where you want to store the file.
We recommend that you specify an Asset Library as the destination. An Asset Library is designed especially for media, and automatically includes features such as image preview and thumbnails for videos. These features make it easier for you to work with your media files.
To learn how to set up an Asset Library for media files, see Set up an Asset library to store image, audio, or video files.
- Click OK.
Top of Page
Embed a video from a video-sharing website
To embed a video from a video-sharing website, follow these steps.
Security For security reasons, SharePoint supports only embed code with an <iframe> tag.
- Click Embed.
- Then, paste the embed code in the dialog box.
Tip Typically, it is easy to get the embed code for a video from popular video sharing sites. Just look for an Embed or Share option and then follow the onscreen instructions to display the embed code. When the embed code appears, copy it and then paste the code as shown in the preceding picture.
- Click Insert.
Top of Page
Add a video from a SharePoint site
To add a video from a location on a SharePoint site, follow these steps.
- Click From SharePoint. This opens the Asset Picker, which you can browse for the folder or library that you want.
- Browse to a location on your site, such as an Assets Library, where video and audio files are saved.
- Select the file that you want, and then click Insert.
Top of Page
Add a video from another location
To add a video from another location, follow these steps.
- Click From Address.
- Type the URL for the file that you want to use, and then click OK. The URL must point directly to a video file. For example: http://contoso.com/VideoFile.wmv.
Top of Page
Edit media properties and the Media Web Part
When you add video or audio to a page, SharePoint inserts a Media Web Part. After you add the media, you can customize the Web Part. For example, you might want to change its size or location, edit the title, or add a catalog icon.
If you want to change the Media Web Part on a page, follow these steps:
- Go to the page that contains the video.
- Select the Page tab, and then click Edit.
- When the video appears on the page, click anywhere on the video image to open the Media tab and its ribbon.
- On the ribbon, in the Preview group, point to Change Image and select the image file that you want displayed as a preview for the audio or video file. If you do not update the preview image, the default image for the file type is displayed.
- In the Properties group, you can enter or change the title that appears. You can also specify whether you want the file to play automatically when the page is loaded, or if it should loop until stopped.
- In the Player Styles group on the ribbon, point to Styles and select the style that you prefer for the player.
- In the Size group on the ribbon, you can also choose to specify any changes that you want to make to the Horizontal and Vertical size of the player.
- To edit the Media Web Part, rest the mouse on the media title and then click the arrow that is displayed to open the Media Web Part Menu.
- Choose Edit Web Part to open the edit window on the side of the screen.
- In the Web Part edit panel, choose the properties that you want to change. When you finish making changes, click Apply.
- Click OK to close the edit window and return to the page.
- When you finish making changes to the page, select the Page tab, and then click Save. If the page is checked out to you, you see a warning message together with a link so you can check it in.
Top of Page