Keyword terms are defined by an administrator to enhance search results with preferred content. They can be used in queries from the Search box, the Search Center site, or the Advanced Search box. When a query includes a keyword term or one of its synonyms, the definition for that term and links to its featured locations or documents, called "Best Bets," are displayed prominently on the search results page, above the core search results.
By defining commonly-used search terms as keywords, a site collection administrator can provide a standard glossary of names, processes, and concepts that are part of the "common knowledge" shared by members of an organization. When keywords have synonyms and associated Best Bet links, they also become handy tools for guiding users toward recommended resources.
What do you want to do?
Display the Manage Keywords page
A site collection administrator can manage keywords and Best Bets from the Manage Keywords page.
- Log on to the home page of your top-level site with site collection administrator permissions.
- Click the Site Actions menu, choose Site Settings, and then choose Modify All Site Settings.
- On the Site Settings page, in the Site Collection Administration section, click Search keywords. The Manage Keywords page is displayed.
To define a new keyword and add Best Bets to it, click Add Keyword, then follow the steps listed in the Add keywords section.
To add Best Bet links to an existing keyword, click the keyword, then follow the steps in the Add Best Bets section.
Top of Page
Keywords provide definitions for common terms used within your organization. Each keyword entry also can include a list of synonyms, and the Web addresses (URLs) for several Best Bets links to recommended content.
- On the Manage Keywords page, click Add Keyword to display the Add Keyword page.
- In the Keyword Phrase box, type a word, name, acronym, or phrase to be defined as a keyword.
Tip Terms that are often used in searches make good keyword terms. When defining keywords, work from a list of popular sites, processes, and tools used by your organization.
- In the Synonyms box, type terms with a similar meaning. Separate synonyms with a semicolon (";"). The definition of the keyword, and its Best Bets links, will be featured above the search results when any synonym of the keyword is used in a query.
- In the Keyword Definition box, provide a definition to display above the core search results whenever the keyword is used in a query.
- To feature Best Bet links above the search results, click Add Best Bet, then follow the steps in the next section Add Best Bets.
- To store a contact for the keyword, for example a reviewer, type an e-mail alias in the Contact box. Click Check Names to verify the alias, or click Browse to select a name using a directory service.
- In the Publishing section, you can set a Review Date for keyword review, a Start Date when the keyword's definition and Best Bets will begin to appear in search results, and (if desired) an End Date when the keyword will cease to be active. Click the calendar next to each date that you wish to set.
Note The current date appears as the default Start Date. If you leave the End Date box empty, the keyword will not expire.
- Click OK to finish defining the keyword.
Note Keywords and their Best Bets are stored in their own database tables, and become effective immediately.
Top of Page
Add Best Bets
Best Bets can link to recommended Web sites, data stores, and documents. When a user includes a keyword or one of its synonyms in a query, the search results page displays links to the associated Best Bets above the core results, along with a definition of the keyword. This enables the administrator to guide users toward recommended locations and authoritative pages.
Keyword terms in queries must match the keyword or its synonym exactly. Keywords can only be used within the site collection where they are defined. Keyword definitions and their Best Bet links (if any) are displayed when the Search box sends its query results to a search results page that is within the same site collection, and includes the Best Bets Web part.
For example, you might define payroll as a keyword, and include the URL for the home page of your Payroll department as one of its Best Bet links. When a user types the keyword term payroll in the Search box, the search results will then include a link to your company's payroll site.
To add Best Bets, do as follows:
- Follow the steps in the previous section Display the Manage Keywords page to display the Manage Keywords page.
- On the Manage Keywords page, to add a Best Bets site to an existing keyword, click the keyword to display the Edit Keywords page.
- To create a new keyword that includes Best Bets, on the Manage Keywords page, click Add Keyword and follow the steps in the previous section Add keywords.
- In the Best Bets section of the Edit Keyword page or on the Add Keyword page, click Add Best Bet.
- If you have already created other keywords that include Best Bets, the Add Best Bet dialog box offers options to Select existing best bet or to Add new best bet.
To reuse an existing Best Bet in a new keyword:
- Choose Select existing best bet.
- Select one or more Best Bets from the list. This adds these Best Bets to the present keyword.
To create a new Best Bet:
- Choose Add new best bet.
- In the URL box, type the Web address.
- In the Title box, type the link text for the Best Bet link.
- In the Description box, type text to display beneath the Best Bet link.
- Click OK to finish creating the new Best Bet.
- Each Best Bet entry for the keyword includes links to Remove, Edit, or Order the Best Bet.
- To change the URL, title, or description of a Best Bet, click Edit, and type the new information in the appropriate box. Then click OK to save your changes.
Note When you edit a Best Bet that is shared among several keywords, it is changed for all of the keywords that use it.
- If a keyword includes multiple Best Bets, use the Order lists to set the order in which they will appear on the search results page.
- To remove a Best Bet from a keyword, click Remove.
Note A Best Bet can be added from the Select existing best bet list only if as it is in use in at least one keyword. When a Best Bet is no longer in use in any keyword, it is deleted.
Top of Page
Review keywords and Best Bets
In the Publishing section of the Add Keyword page, you can set a Review Date for keyword reviewers. To set a review date, follow the procedures in the previous section Add keywords.
Those asked to review a keyword by a certain date will receive an alert. When the expiration date has passed, they will receive another alert. These alerts include a link to the Manage Keywords page. Those notified must have the permissions required to display the Manage Keywords page. On the Manage Keywords page, they can then click Keywords Requiring Review to filter the page to display the keywords that require review, or click the Expired Keywords link to display the keywords that have expired.
Top of Page