You can install the optional component for backward-compatible document libraries on a computer that has Microsoft Office SharePoint Portal Server 2003 installed or on a computer without SharePoint Portal Server installed.
Note Installing the backward-compatible document library components on a computer that is a member of a Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 domain will take considerably longer than installing on computers that are members of Microsoft Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 domains. This delay does not occur when installing other components of SharePoint Portal Server 2003. The installation may take over an hour to complete, and the computer CPU may show no activity for some of this duration. This is expected, and when Setup is complete, you can use the product normally.
Install the component for backward-compatible document libraries
- Log on to the computer running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 as a local or domain administrator.
- Do the following to ensure that the proxy server settings for Internet access are specified correctly:
- Click Start, point to Control Panel, and then click Internet Options.
- In the Internet Properties dialog box, click the Connections tab.
- Click LAN Settings.
- In the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings dialog box, in the Automatic configuration section, ensure that both check boxes are cleared.
- If you use a proxy server, in the Proxy server section, do the following:
- Select the Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections). check box.
- Select the Bypass proxy server for local addresses check box.
- In the Address box, type a valid proxy server address.
- In the Port box, type the port number for the proxy server.
- Click Advanced.
- In the Proxy Settings dialog box, select the Use the same proxy server for all protocols check box, and then click OK.
- Click OK to close the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings dialog box.
- Click OK to close the Internet Options dialog box.
- Insert the SharePoint Portal Server CD into your CD-ROM drive.
- Click Install optional components.
- On the installation page for optional components, click Install server and client components for backward-compatible document libraries.
- On the Welcome to the Document Library Setup Wizard page, click Next.
- On the License Agreement page, read the license agreement. If you agree with the terms of the agreement, click I agree, and then click Next.
- On the Product Identification page, type the product key in the spaces provided, and then click Next.
The product key is located on the back of your SharePoint Portal Server CD case or on your Certificate of Authenticity. If the number you type is not accepted, check the following:
- If you are using the numeric keypad on your keyboard, ensure that NUM LOCK is on.
- Ensure that you are not using the letter I for the number one.
- Ensure that you are not using the letter O for the number zero.
- On the Document library component of Microsoft Office SharePoint Portal Server 2003 Setup page, type the location on the server where you want to install the program and data files for the document library component.
Note You can only choose the location for the program files if you are installing the optional components on a server that does not have SharePoint Portal Server installed.
You can change the installation location for these files by clicking Change Folder.
SharePoint Portal Server also installs additional required files on the operating system drive. Click Disk Information for information about the amount of disk space required and the amount remaining. If there are existing files in the installation paths, setup removes these files.
The path must meet the following restrictions:
- The path name can have a maximum length of 80 characters.
- The path name can contain only characters in the lower ASCII range.
- The path cannot point to a root directory. For example, E:\ is not allowed, but E:\Installation is allowed
- Click Next.
A message appears listing the services that will be stopped.
- Click OK to stop the services and continue.
The Component Progress page appears.
- On the Completing the Document Library Setup Wizard page, click Finish.
You might be prompted to restart your computer.
After the setup wizard completes the setup, you must perform the following steps to make the optional document library component functional.
- Change component assignments for the server farm.
- Create a document library.
- Manage security for a backward-compatible document library.