Project sites are used to capture tasks and assign them to people in your organization, store and manage project-related documentation, and track project team events on a common calendar.
To create a new project site:
- On the Quick Launch, click Site Contents.
- Under Subsites, click New Subsite.
- Under Title and Description, give the new project site a Title that corresponds with the name of the project, and provide a brief Description of the site.
- Under Web Site Address, provide the portion of the URL that will be used to access your project site.
- Under Template Selection, select Project Site.
- Under Permissions, choose whether you want the new site to use the same permissions as the parent site, or use its own, unique permissions.
Tip When you make this decision, think about who can access the parent site, and whether you want those people to also be able to view and/or make changes to your project site. You may find it more appropriate to use unique permissions for your project site, if your project information needs tighter security.
- Under Navigation, choose whether you want a link to your project site included on the Quick Launch and/or the top link bar of the parent site.
- Under Navigation Inheritance, choose whether you want to use the top link bar from the parent site on your project site.
- Click Create to create your new project site.
That’s it, your project site is created and you can begin using it.
If you chose to use unique permissions for the project site in Step 6, you are immediately taken to a page where you can set up who can access your project site, and what those people are able to do while on your site. For more information about this process, see Set up who can view and change your new project site.
If you chose to inherit the permissions of your project site’s parent site, everyone who has access to the parent site can also access the project site in the same way. For example, people who are set up as visitors on the parent site are also set up as visitors on your project site.
Now that your project site is set up, your next step might be to Add tasks to your project or Add people to the project team.
Top of Page