If your Office 365 subscription has been upgraded, for a limited time you may be able to give users a choice between creating site collections by using an earlier version of the SharePoint Online templates or by using the current version of the templates. Depending on the settings, you can also control whether or not SharePoint Online site collections created with an earlier version of the templates can be upgraded to the current versions. For example, if you want to temporarily prevent users from upgrading sites while you update any customizations you’ve previously made to a SharePoint Online template, you can configure these settings to prevent the upgrade of any existing sites that use this template.
Note You must be signed in to Office 365 as a SharePoint Online administrator to access the SharePoint Online Administration Center.
To configure these settings:
- Go to Admin > SharePoint > Settings
- In the Global Experience Version Settings section, choose one of the following options:
- Allow creation of old version site collections, but prevent creation of new version site collections. Prevent opt-in upgrade to the new version site collections to only allow users to create site collections using the SharePoint Online 2010 templates and to prevent them from upgrading these site collections to SharePoint 2013.
- Allow creation of old version site collections, and creation of new version site collections. Allow opt-in upgrade to the new version site collections to allow users to create either SharePoint Online 2010 site collections or SharePoint Online 2013 site collections and allow them to upgrade the 2010 versions to 2013.
- Prevent creation of old version site collections, but allow creation of new version site collections. Allow opt-in upgrade to the new version site collections to only allow users to create site collections using the SharePoint Online 2013 templates and to allow them to upgrade any existing SharePoint Online 2010 site collections to SharePoint Online 2013.
- Click OK.
Note The above options will be greyed-out if your Office 365 subscription has not yet been upgraded, if this is a new Office 365 subscription, or the time allowed for creating site collections by using templates from the previous version of Office 365 has expired.