Your project team is made up of those who are assigned to tasks in your project, plus those who can access your project site. For example, you may have several people assigned to work on tasks, and a handful of executives or other stakeholders whom you want to be able to view your project, even though they aren’t assigned to tasks. You can use the Share feature on the parent site to add members to the team.
Note For information on how to add people to your project team by assigning them to tasks, see Add tasks to your project.
When your project site was created, it was set up either to use the permissions from the parent site, or to use a unique set of permissions for this project:
- If you chose to use a unique set of permissions for this project, you set up who can view and change your new project site immediately after you created the site.
- If your project site was set up to use the permissions from the parent site, everyone who could access the parent site is now a part of your project team. If you want to add people to your project team, you’ll have to either add them to the parent site yourself, or request that they be added by whomever owns that site.
To add a project team member to the parent site:
- On the parent site, click Share.
- At the bottom of the window that appears, click Show Options.
- Under Select a group or permission level, choose the group where you want the project team member(s) added:
- [Parent site name] Visitors If you want the project team member(s) to be able to view your site contents, but not be able to make changes, select this group.
- [Parent site name] Members If you want the project team member(s) to be able to add, edit, and delete tasks, documents, and other information on your site, select this group.
- [Parent site name] Owners If you want the project team member(s) to have full control over all available options on your site, select this group. This includes being able to add and remove lists, libraries, and other site features.
- Under Invite people to ‘[permission level]’, type the names or email addresses of the project team members you are adding, separated by a semicolon (;).
- If you would like, you can provide a personal message that will be sent to these new project team members in an email message that invites them to collaborate on your project site.
Note This message is only sent if the Send an email invitation check box is selected. If you don’t see this check box, click Show Options.
- Click Share to add these new project team members to your site, in the selected group.
Once you have added people to your project team, your next step might be to add tasks to your project, upload files or documents to the project, or open the task list in Project or Excel.
Top of Page