On occasion, you may find it useful to display sample data in a Data View. For example, if the data source contains hundreds of records, it is faster and easier to modify the appearance of a Data View while it displays sample data instead of your real data. Or you may want to display sample data while you modify the Data View because the data source may be new and not yet contain any data, or you may be working with the Business Data Web Part, which does not display any data. With Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007, you can easily display sample data in a Data View.
To learn more about Data Views, see Create a Data View.
- Open the page that contains the Data View that you want to change.
- Right-click the Data View, and then click Show Common Control Tasks on the shortcut menu.
Tip You can also click the Data View and then click the arrow in the upper-right corner to show the Common Data View Tasks list. Click the arrow again to hide the list.
- In the Common Data View Tasks list, select the Show with sample data check box.
- To restore the default view, in the Common Data View Tasks list, clear the Show with sample data check box.
- If you have a Data View set to display more than five records, and you choose to display sample data, only five sample records appear in your sample Data View. However, the Data View still displays more than five records when displaying real data.
- Sample data appears only in Design view. When you choose to display sample data, your real data is unaffected.
Top of Page