At Microsoft, we are working hard to protect your privacy, while delivering products that bring you the performance, power, and convenience you want. This Privacy Statement explains many of the data collection and use practices of Microsoft Office Feedback “Send a Smile”. It doesn’t apply to other online or offline Microsoft sites, products, or services.
Except as otherwise described in this statement, Send a Smile doesn’t send personal information to Microsoft. Information that is sent to Microsoft isn’t shared outside of Microsoft and its controlled subsidiaries and affiliates without your permission.
Collection and use of your information
Send a Smile to Office allows you to send an email address with your feedback. This email address is used to contact you if Microsoft needs further information or clarification on your request. You don’t have to register your email address with Microsoft to use Send a Smile.
Send a Smile to Office allows you to send feedback to Microsoft and, if you want, include screenshots showing the specific compliment or concern you have. Although Send a Smile doesn’t intentionally collect personally identifiable information, it is possible that such information might be captured in the feedback or screenshots you provide. Microsoft doesn’t use this information to identify you.
Send a Smile automatically collects some information about your system configuration, standard computer information, and basic information about how you use Microsoft products. This information is sent when you choose to send feedback.
Send a Smile generally collects information about:
- System configuration, such as how many processors are in your computer, the operating system your computer is currently running, and what screen resolutions you use.
- Standard computer information, such as the Office version, browser version, and country/regional and language settings.
- Office program usage, such as how frequently you start programs and how long you run programs.
If you have chosen to participate in the Customer Experience Improvement Programs (CEIP), the information collected from your computer might be combined with other CEIP data to help Microsoft better understand your feedback, solve problems, and to improve the products and features customers use most often.
The personal information we collect from you is used by Microsoft and its controlled subsidiaries and affiliates to provide the services or carry out the transactions you requested or authorized, and it might also be used to request additional information on:
- Feedback you provide about the product or service you are using
- To provide critical updates and notifications regarding the software
- To improve the product or service, for example, bug and survey form inquiries
Except as described in this statement, personal information you provide isn’t transferred to third parties without your consent. We occasionally hire other companies to provide limited services on our behalf, such as:
- Packaging, sending and delivering purchases, and other mailings
- Answering customer questions about products or services
- Processing event registration
- Performing statistical analysis of our services
We only provide those companies with the personal information they need to deliver the service, and they are prohibited from using that information for any other purpose.
Microsoft might access or disclose information about you, including the content of your communications, to:
- Comply with the law or respond to lawful requests or legal process
- Protect the rights or property of Microsoft or our customers, including the enforcement of our agreements or policies governing your use of the services
- Act on a good faith belief that such access or disclosure is necessary to protect the personal safety of Microsoft employees, customers, or the public
Information collected by or sent to Microsoft by Send a Smile might be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which Microsoft or its affiliates, subsidiaries, or service providers maintain facilities. Microsoft abides by the Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the United States Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of data from the European Union.
Security of your information
Microsoft is committed to helping protect the security of your personal information. We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure.
Changes to this Privacy Statement
Microsoft might occasionally update this Privacy Statement. The last updated date at the top of the Privacy Statement is updated with every revision. We encourage you to periodically review this Privacy Statement to be informed of how Microsoft is helping to protect your information.
For more information
Microsoft welcomes your comments regarding this Privacy Statement. If you have questions about this statement or believe that we have not adhered to it, contact us using our web form at Contact Us: Privacy Feedback
Microsoft Office Privacy, Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052 USA
To find the Microsoft subsidiary in your country or region, see http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/.
Top of Page