Use layout guides to organize text, pictures, and other objects into columns and rows so that your publication has an ordered, consistent look.
In this article
What are layout guides?
Layout guides include margin, column, row, and baseline guides.
You can use layout guides to create a grid on a master page. This grid appears on every page in your publication where that master page is used.
Find more information about ruler guides in the Show or hide rulers article.
Top of Page
Structure the page with layout guides
Set up your publication to print on facing pages (like a book)
- On the Arrange menu, click Layout Guides, and then click the Margin Guides tab.
- Under Master Pages, select the Two-page master check box.
- Under Margin Guides, enter the amount of space that you want for the page margins in the Inside, Outside, Top, and Bottom boxes.
Set up the column and row guides
- On the Arrange menu, click Layout Guides, and then click the Grid Guides tab.
- Under Column Guides, enter the number of columns that you want in the Columns box, and then enter the amount of space that you want between the columns in the Spacing box.
- Under Row Guides, enter the number of rows that you want in the Rows box, and then enter the amount of space that you want between the rows in the Spacing box.
- Click OK.
- Create text boxes for the columns by clicking Text Box on the Objects toolbar and then dragging inside the columns that are defined by the layout guides.
Set up the baseline guides
Baseline guides help you to align text that is not linked between several text boxes in columns. You can turn the text alignment on or off by selecting or clearing the Align text to baseline guides check box (Format menu, Paragraph command, Indents and Spacing tab).
- On the Arrange menu, click Layout Guides, and then click the Baseline Guides tab.
Note If the Korean language is enabled, you need to click either Horizontal or Vertical.
- Under Horizontal Baseline, enter the amount of space that you want between baselines in the Spacing box.
To view the baseline guides in your publication, click Baseline Guides on the View menu.
- In the Offset box, enter the amount of space that you want between the first baseline guide and the top margin.
Note The offset is measured from the top margin, not the top of the text box.
Top of Page