You can add or remove consecutive page numbers for an entire publication by working from a master page. If you have multiple master pages in your publication, you need to repeat these steps for every master page you use.
Before starting either of the following two tasks, do the following:
- On the View menu, click Master Page.
- In the Edit Master Pages task pane, click the arrow next to the master page to which you want to add page numbers, and then click Edit.
Add page numbers to a master page
- On the Insert menu, click Page Numbers.
- In the Page Numbers dialog box, select the options you want, and then click OK.
- A header or footer containing a page number mark (#) will appear on the master page. Actual page numbers will appear on the publication pages to which the master page is applied.
Remove page numbers from a master page
- On the master page, select the header or footer that contains the page number mark (#), and then do one of the following:
- To remove the entire header or footer, press CTRL+SHIFT+X.
- To remove only the page number, select the page number mark (#) inside the header or footer, and then press DELETE.