Something as simple as changing the height of rows and wrapping text can dramatically improve how your project is received.
What do you want to do?
Change row height
You can increase or decrease the height of rows (row: A horizontal series of side-by-side fields displaying a common category of information. A row in Project typically consists of information about a task, resource, assignment, or some such detail as work and cost.) in any sheet (sheet: A spreadsheet-like representation [in rows and columns] of task or resource information. Each row specifies an individual task or resource. Each column [field] specifies a type of information, such as start dates or standard rates.) view to display all text when it is too long to be fully visible in a column, without having to increase the field width.
- To increase or decrease the height of a row in your project, drag the bottom border of the row heading (the leftmost cell of the row).
- To increase or decrease the height of multiple rows simultaneously, hold down CTRL, and then select the rows you want. Drag the bottom border of the last selected row.
Note You can only control the height of the row from the leftmost cell of the row. If you attempt this from another location, you will move the location of the row instead.
Wrap text in a cell
New for Project 2010 is the ability to wrap text in any cell.
- Select a column in any view that contains a table (except the Team Planner).
- Right-click on the column header, and then click Wrap Text.
- To wrap text in a row cell, the text needs to have at least one space within it so that Project knows where to automatically break a line for word wrapping. You cannot manually control where the line break will occur.
- Text wrapping only occurs if the text is too long for the width of the row cell. If the text fits on one line, you cannot manually create a line break. In this situation you can only create a line break by narrowing the column.
- A list of names in the Resource Names column of the Gantt Chart and other sheet-like views will not wrap unless there is a space in an individual's name, such as between a first name and last name.