When you set up task dependencies (task dependencies: A relationship between two linked tasks; linked by a dependency between their finish and start dates. There are four kinds of task dependencies: Finish-to-start [FS], Start-to-start [SS], Finish-to-finish [FF], and Start-to-finish [SF].), there may be some successor (successor: A task that cannot start or finish until another task starts or finishes.) tasks that can start before their predecessor (predecessor: A task that must start or finish before another task can start or finish.) tasks are finished, and other successor tasks that cannot be started until after a delay that follows the conclusion of their predecessor tasks:
Lead time and lag time can be entered either as a duration (duration: The total span of active working time that is required to complete a task. This is generally the amount of working time from the start to finish of a task, as defined by the project and resource calendar.) (for example, two days after the completion of the task) or as a percentage of the duration of the predecessor task (for example, begin the task when the predecessor's duration is 50% complete).
- On the View menu, click Gantt Chart.
- In the Task Name field, select the task for which you want to set lead time or lag time, and then click Task Information .
- Click the Predecessors tab.
- In the Lag field, type the lead time or lag time that you want, either as a duration or as a percentage of the duration of the predecessor task:
- To enter lead time, type either a negative number or a negative percentage (such as -2d for two days of lead time).
- To enter lag time, type either a positive number or a positive percentage (such as 50% for half of the predecessor task's duration in lag time).
- You can set lead time or lag time between a maximum of two tasks, and the lead or lag time must be set after a dependency is created between those tasks.
- You can quickly add lead time or lag time to a successor task by double-clicking the link line on the Gantt Chart view and then typing the amount or percentage of lead time or lag time in the Lag field.
Top of Page