You can insert data from Microsoft Office Excel into Microsoft Office Project as a linked object (object: In OLE, shared information, such as a chart, among different documents and different programs. The program used to create the object and the object type determines the programs that can be used to edit the object, as well as how it can be edited.) that will be updated dynamically by changes made in the source (source: The location where moved, copied, imported, or exported information originated; can be a view, table, document, or other program. In OLE, the document or program that furnishes information to a linked object in a destination, document, or program.) file. You can also embed (embedding: The placing of an OLE object into a container document. You can edit an embedded object from within the container document by using a program associated with the object.) the data independent of its original file.
- In Excel, select the data (such as fields, cells, records, or rows) that you want to link or embed, and then click Copy .
- In Project, on the View menu, click the view that you want.
To use a view that is not on the View menu, click More Views, click the view that you want to use in the Views list, and then click Apply.
- Select the location where you want to insert the data.
- On the Edit menu, click Paste Special.
- Do one of the following:
Under As, click Text Data.
- To embed the data independently, without a link to the source document, click Paste.
- To link the inserted data to the data in the source document, click Paste Link.