Security Use strong passwords that combine uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. Weak passwords don't mix these elements. Strong password: Y6dh!et5. Weak password: House27. Passwords should be 8 or more characters in length. A pass phrase that uses 14 or more characters is better. For more information, see Help protect your personal information with strong passwords.It is critical that you remember your password. If you forget your password, Microsoft cannot retrieve it. Store the passwords that you write down in a secure place away from the information that they help protect.
Note When you log on to Microsoft Office Project Server 2003 to work on enterprise projects (enterprise project: A project that is stored in Project Server to ensure information integrity. To make changes to an enterprise project, users with access permissions are required to check it in and out from Project Server.), password protection is part of its built-in security system.
- Open the project file.
- On the File menu, click Save As.
- On the Tools menu in the Save As dialog box, click General Options.
- To help protect the file from being opened by unauthorized people, type a password in the Protection password box.
To help protect the file from being edited by unauthorized people, type a password in the Write reservation password box.
If needed, you can type passwords for both. Passwords can be from 1 to 17 characters long.
- If you want to suggest that users open the document as read-only, select the Read-only recommended check box.
When users attempt to open the project, a dialog box appears recommending that they open the document as read-only. Users can still open the document as permitted.
- If you want to create a backup copy of the previous version of the project file each time you save a new version, select the Always create backup check box.
Each new backup copy replaces the previous backup copy. Microsoft Office Project 2003 saves the backup copy (with a .bak extension) in the same folder as the original file.
- Click OK.
- In the Re-enter protection password and/or Re-enter write reservation password box, type the protection password again.
Note You cannot use a password to help protect projects stored in a database.