You can define cost accrual methods (accrual method: Determines when the cost for a resource is incurred and when actual costs are charged to a project. You can incur costs at the start [Start] or finish [End] of a task or prorate them [Prorated] during the task.) for resource (resources: The people, equipment, and material that are used to complete tasks in a project.) costs and fixed costs for tasks.
Change how resource costs are accrued
- On the View menu, click Resource Sheet.
- In the Resource Name field (field: A location in a sheet, form, or chart that contains a specific kind of information about a task, resource, or assignment. For example, in a sheet, each column is a field. In a form, a field is a named box or a place in a column.), click a resource.
- Click Resource Information , and then click the Costs tab.
- In the Cost accrual box, click the accrual method you want.
Note per-use (per-use cost: A set fee for the use of a resource that can be in place of, or in addition to, a variable. For work resources, a per-use cost accrues each time that the resource is used. For material resources, a per-use cost is accrued only once.) resource costs will be incurred at the start or finish of an assignment rather than with the default prorated accrual method.
Change the accrual method for new tasks
- On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Calculation tab.
- In the Default fixed costs accrual box, click the accrual method you want.
- If you want to apply this method to all future projects, click Set as Default.
Change the accrual method for existing tasks
- On the View menu, click More Views.
- In the Views box, click Task Sheet, and then click Apply.
- On the View menu, point to Table, and then click Cost.
- In the Fixed Cost Accrual field, click the accrual method you want for each task.