With Microsoft Project 2010 you can control when costs accrue in tasks and their assignments. This setting can override the automatic generation of the costs associated with resource usage (which are by default prorated) and place cost realization at the beginning or end of the task. This might be used for alignment when the costs are realized by billing systems and it can help you manage cash flow in your project. You can define the cost accrual methods (accrual method: Determines when the cost for a resource is incurred and when actual costs are charged to a project. You can incur costs at the start [Start] or finish [End] of a task or prorate them [Prorated] during the task.) for resource (resources: The people, equipment, and material that are used to complete tasks in a project.) costs and the fixed costs (fixed cost: A set cost for a task that remains constant regardless of the task duration or the work performed by a resource.) for tasks.
What do you want to do?
Change how resource costs are accrued
- On the View tab, in the Resource Views group, click Resource Sheet.
- In the Resource Name field, click a resource.
- Right-click to select Information, and on the Resource Information dialog, click the Costs tab.
- In the Cost accrual list, select the accrual method you want.
Caution We recommend that the resource cost accrual setting be made when a resource is created, and then not modified. Changes may move planned and actual costs, which could change actual costs
Note Per-use resource costs are incurred at the start or finish of an assignment, not via the prorated accrual method.
Tip A safe way to change an incorrectly set accrual value is to create and assign a new resource and transfer remaining costs from the old to the new resource.
Top of Page
Change the fixed-cost accrual method for new tasks
- Click the File tab.
- In the Microsoft Office Backstage view, under Help, click Options.
- The Project Options page appears. Click Schedule.
- In the Calculations options for this project area, in the Default fixed cost accrual list, select the accrual method that you want to apply to all new tasks in this project.
Note If you want to apply this accrual method to all future projects, at the Calculations options for this project label, select All New Projects.
Top of Page
Change the fixed-cost accrual method for existing tasks
- On the View tab, in the Resource Views group, click Other Views.
- In the list, select More Views, then in the More Views dialog, select Task Sheet, and then click Apply.
- On the Data group, click the arrow on Tables, and then click Cost.
- In the Fixed Cost Accrual field, select from the list an accrual method that you want to apply to each task.
Note This cost setting affects only how fixed costs are accrued.
Top of Page