Tasks can have their own calendars. By default, tasks (task: An activity that has a beginning and an end. Project plans are made up of tasks.) are scheduled based upon the project calendar (project calendar: The base calendar used by a project.). To define unique or specific exceptions (exception: An instance in which a task or resource calendar differs from the project calendar. An example is a resource that must work on Saturdays, but for which the project calendar does not include working time to cover these instances.), such as for machinery that runs during nonworking time (nonworking time: Hours or days designated in a resource or project calendar when Project should not schedule tasks because work is not done. Nonworking time can include lunch breaks, weekends, and holidays, for example.), or an office move that can occur only on a weekend, you can create a task calendar (task calendar: The base calendar that you can apply to individual tasks to control their scheduling, usually independent of the project calendar or any assigned resources' calendars. By default, all tasks use the project calendar.) for individual tasks. A task calendar that is associated with a task overrides the project calendar.
- Click the Project tab, and in the Properties group, click Change Working Time.
- Click Create New Calendar.
- In the Create New Base Calendar dialog box, type of name for the new calendar and then choose whether you want to create a new base calendar or make a calendar that is based on a copy of an existing calendar.
- Click OK to return to the Change Working Time dialog box.
- To change the work week for the task calendar, click the Work Weeks tab.
- Click the row in the table that indicates the default schedule for the task calendar, and then click Details.
- In the Details for dialog box, select the days of the week that you want to change throughout the scheduling of the task, and then select one of the following:
- Use Project default working times for these days Choose the days that should use the default working times, which are 8:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. and 1:00 P.M. to 5:00 P.M., Monday through Friday, and nonworking time on weekends.
- Set days to nonworking time Choose the days on which no work can be scheduled. The change that you make will be reflected in all the months in the calendar.
- Set day(s) to these specific working times To set the working times for the selected days throughout the schedule, type the times that you want work to start in the From boxes and the times you want work to end in the To boxes.
- After you create a base calendar, you need to assign that calendar to a task. Select the task, right-click the task, and then click Information, click the Advanced tab, and then select the calendar from the Calendar list.
- To delete a calendar, use the Organizer. Click the File tab. Click Info, and then click Global Organizer. Click the Calendars tab. On the right, select the task calendar you want to delete, and then click Delete.
Top of Page