Although you can copy or move a task or resource at any time, it's best to do so before you establish task dependencies. When you copy or move a task or resource, Microsoft Office Project 2003, by default, reestablishes task dependencies.
- In the ID field, select the task or resource you want to copy or move:
To move the task or resource, click Cut Task or Cut Resource .
- To select a row, click the task or resource ID number of the row.
- To select a group of adjacent rows, hold down SHIFT, and then click the first and last ID numbers of the group.
- To select several nonadjacent rows, hold down CTRL, and then click the ID numbers.
To copy the task or resource, click Copy Task or Copy Resource .
- In the ID field, select the rows where you want to paste the selection.
- Click Paste .
If there is information in the destination row, the new rows will be inserted above the destination row.
- Project copies or moves the following associated information with the task or resource: notes (note: Explanatory text that you can attach to a task, resource, or assignment.), linked or embedded objects (embedded object: Information [the object] inserted in a file [the destination file]. Once embedded, the object becomes part of the destination file. When you double-click an embedded object, it opens in the program it was created in [the source program].), and subtasks (subtask: A task that is part of a summary task. The subtask information is consolidated into the summary task. You can designate subtasks by using the Project outlining feature.), if the selection is a summary task (summary task: A task that is made up of subtasks and summarizes those subtasks. Use outlining to create summary tasks. Project automatically determines summary task information [such as duration and cost] by using information from the subtasks.).
- You can set Project to not reestablish task dependencies when moving a task or resource. On the Tools menu, click Options, click the Schedule tab, and then clear the Autolink inserted or moved tasks check box.