You can log on to Microsoft Office Project Server 2007 from two places:
- Microsoft Office Project Professional 2007 If you connect this way, you can manage enterprise projects from within Office Project Professional 2007.
- Microsoft Office Project Web Access on a Web browser If you connect this way, you can manage tasks from the Web without using Office Project Professional 2007.
Note Both of these connection methods require that you have set up Project Server 2007 in your organization. Learn more about how to deploy Project Server 2007 throughout your organization.
What do you want to do?
Log on to Project Server from Project Professional
You must use a Project Server 2007 account to log on to Project Server 2007. Once you have a working account, you simply need to start Office Project Professional 2007 and enter your user name and password in the Login dialog box.
Note If you receive a "Project Server Unavailable" message when you try to connect to Project Server, verify with your server administrator (administrator: Sets up and manages user accounts, assigns permissions, and helps users with network or server access issues. This person can also manage and customize various elements in Project Professional and in Project Server.) that you are in a Project Server group that has permission to log on from Project. By default, the Project Manager group has this permission, but the Team Member group does not.
Top of Page
Create a Project Server account
- On the Tools menu, point to Enterprise Options, and then click Microsoft Office Project Server Accounts.
- In the Project Server Accounts dialog box, click Add.
- In the Account Properties dialog box, type a name for this account in the Account Name box.
- In the Project Server URL box, type the complete server name (for example, http://yourserver/servername).
- Under When connecting, click the account type that you want to use to log on:
To make this your default Project Server account, select the Set as default account check box.
If you want to add other Project Server accounts, repeat steps 2 through 6 for each additional account.
On the Project Server Accounts dialog box, do one of the following:
- To use Windows authentication, click Use Windows user account.
- To use a Project Server account, click Use a Project Server account and then provide a user name in the User name box.
To log on to the server, close and restart Project.
- Select Automatically detect connection state if you want Project to automatically detect and connect to the default server specified in the Available accounts area. If you do not specify a default server, Project will open offline without a server connection.
- Select Manually control connection state if you prefer to select a server to connect to every time that you open Project. Use this option if you have multiple servers that you frequently access, or if you expect that you will sometimes prefer to use Project offline.
Top of Page
Edit an existing account
To edit an existing account, in the Project Server Accounts dialog box, under Available accounts, select an account, and then click Properties. Make changes in the Account Properties dialog box.
Top of Page
Remove an account
To remove an account, in the Project Server Accounts dialog box, under Available accounts, select an account and then click Remove.
Top of Page
Log on to Project Server from a Web browser
When your team publishes project information to Project Server 2007, team members can use Office Project Web Access to view that information. They can also report on the progress of their assigned tasks.
- Start your browser (Web browser: A computer program that is capable of locating and displaying information on the World Wide Web.), and enter the Uniform Resource Locator (URL) (URL: Uniform Resource Locator, which is a standard for naming and locating an object on the Internet, such as a file or newsgroup. URLs are used extensively on the World Wide Web. They are used in HTML documents to specify the target of a hyperlink.) for the Project Web Access Web site (Web site: A Web page or collection of pages on an intranet or the World Wide Web that is formatted in HTML and is accessible from a Web browser.).
Note The URL for Office Project Web Access is different in each organization. If you do not know the URL for Office Project Web Access in your organization, contact your administrator (administrator: Sets up and manages user accounts, assigns permissions, and helps users with network or server access issues. This person can also manage and customize various elements in Project Professional and in Project Server.).
- If you see a logon page, enter your user name and password.
Note Depending on the authentication (authentication: The process of identifying a specific user and confirming that the user has permission to access Project Server.) method used, you may not have to enter logon information.
Top of Page