- To store, share, and reuse slides in a Slide Library, your computer must be running Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007, and it must be connected to a server running Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007. If you do not know whether your computer is connected to an Office SharePoint Server 2007 server, contact your server administrator.
- To add one or more slides from a different presentation file located on your computer or a network share, see Add a slide from another presentation file.
In this article
Overview of storing and reusing slide content
Note To learn how to create a Slide Library, see Create a Slide Library.
By using Office PowerPoint 2007, you can share and reuse slide content by storing individual slide files in a centrally located Slide Library on a server running Office SharePoint Server 2007. You can publish slides to a Slide Library and you can add slides to your presentation from a Slide Library.
By using Slide Library updates, you can associate a slide that you inserted in a presentation on your computer with the original slide that resides in the Slide Library on the server. Each time that you open the presentation on your computer, PowerPoint notifies you if the slide has been updated and gives you the opportunity to ignore the update, append a new slide to the outdated slide, or replace the outdated slide with the updated one.
When you change an existing slide in a Slide Library, Office SharePoint Server 2007 time stamps and automatically checks the file out to you, and then time stamps and checks it back in when you are finished. Office SharePoint Server 2007 has a versioning capability that you can use to track the history of all changes made to a slide. To take advantage of the Slide Library versioning capability, see the Office SharePoint Server 2007 Help.
To locate the most recent version of a slide in a Slide Library, simply filter and sort in the Slide Library list. To learn how to locate the most recent version of a slide, see the Office SharePoint Server 2007 Help.
Office PowerPoint 2007 automatically remembers the locations of multiple Slide Libraries so that you can easily locate them.
By using Slide Libraries with Office SharePoint Server 2007, you can do the following:
- Store slides in a shared location for others to access.
- Track and review changes to slides.
- Locate the latest version of a slide.
Top of Page
Publish slides to a Slide Library
Note Before you can publish slides to a Slide Library, you must create a Slide Library list on an Office SharePoint Server 2007 server. To create a Slide Library, see the Office SharePoint Server 2007 server Help.
- Open the presentation that contains the slides that you want to publish to the Slide Library.
- Click the Microsoft Office Button , point to Publish, and then click Publish Slides.
- In the Publish Slides dialog box, select the check boxes next to the slides that you want to publish to the Slide Library.
To select all of the slides, click Select All.
- Under File Name, do one of the following:
- To rename one or more slide files, click the existing file name, and then type a new name.
- To keep the default slide file names, proceed to step 5.
Note PowerPoint automatically names each slide file by using the presentation name and a unique slide identification (ID) number as the default file name. If you move your slides, the slide ID numbers no longer appear in sequential order.
- Under Description, click and type a description of the slide file.
- In the Publish To list, enter or click the location of the Slide Library that you want to publish your slides to, and then click Publish.
Top of Page
Add slides from a Slide Library to your presentation
- Open the presentation that you want to add a slide to.
- On the Home tab, in the Slides group, click the arrow under New Slide, and then click Reuse Slides.
- In the Reuse Slides pane, in the Insert slide from box, enter the location of the Slide Library, and then click the arrow to find the Slide Library. Or click Browse to locate the Slide Library.
- In the All Slides list, click the slide that you want to add.
To view a larger thumbnail of a slide, rest the pointer over the slide.
- To add more slides from a Slide Library to your presentation, repeat steps 3 and 4.
Note If you want to be notified when someone changes a slide that you added to your presentation from a Slide Library, at the bottom of the Reuse Slides pane, click the slide, and then select the Tell me when this slide changes check box.
Top of Page
Check for changes to slides added from a Slide Library
- Open a presentation that contains one or more slides that originally came from a Slide Library on a server.
A Check for Slide Updates dialog box appears to inform you that the presentation contains one or more slides associated with a Slide Library. The dialog box provides you with the option to check for changes to those slides.
- In the Check for Slide Updates dialog box, click Check.
- Do one of the following:
- If there are no slides in your presentation to update, the message There are no updated slides at this time, click OK appears. Click OK.
- If the Confirm Slide Update dialog box appears, showing a thumbnail of the slide in your presentation and a slide from the Slide Library, compare them, and then do one of the following:
- To replace the local slide with the changed slide from the Slide Library, click Replace.
- To add the changed slide to your presentation so that you can compare the two slides more closely, click Append.
Note Append inserts the updated slide after the outdated one in your presentation.
Top of Page