Content from a PDF file might be what you need for your presentation, but it’s not as easy to get content out of a PDF file as it is from many other document types. There are two options, which depend on how you want to use the PDF content:
- To show content from a PDF on a slide Take a picture of the part of a PDF that you want, and paste it on your slide.
- To keep a PDF file as a support document for your presentation Insert the entire PDF into the presentation as an object that you can open and view during your presentation.
Insert PDF file content as a picture
- In PowerPoint, click that slide that you want to add the content to, then click Insert > Images > Screenshot, then under Available Windows, click Screen Clipping. PowerPoint minimizes to show the window with the PDF file.
- When your screen gets a white “frosted” appearance and the pointer becomes a crosshair , drag to draw a box around the content that you want to clip. Press the Esc key to cancel the Screen Clipping procedure.
Note When you click Screen Clipping, the window you had open most recently appears. Make sure that your PDF is the last window you had open before the presentation you’re working on.
When you stop dragging, the selected area appears on the PowerPoint slide as a picture. Move it, resize it and format it as needed.
Tip If you prefer, most PDF readers let you select and copy a portion of a PDF file, then save it to your computer as a picture. For example, in Adobe Reader®, use the Take a Snapshot command. Then in PowerPoint, click the slide that you want to add the picture to, then right-click on the slide and select Paste.
Insert a PDF file as an object
- In PowerPoint, click the slide that you want to add the file to, click Insert > Object.
- In the Insert Object box, select Create from file, then enter the PDF file location or click Browse, find the PDF file and then click Open.
- In the Insert Object box, click OK.
This makes the PDF file part of the presentation file, which can be opened when the presentation is viewed or edited in Normal view.
Open the PDF from a Slide Show
To open the inserted PDF file during a Slide Show, attach an action to it.
- On the slide, click the PDF file’s icon, then on the Insert tab, click Links > Action.
- In the Action Settings box, select the Mouse Click tab if you want to open the PDF with a click, or the Mouse Over tab if you want it to open when you move the pointer over the PDF file icon.
- Select Object Action, and select Activate Contents in the list.
Top of Page